Monday, May 16, 2011

Things left unsaid

I have a question: is it better to tell the people you love and that love you everything you think and feel? Or does it mean that if you love someone you spare them from having to deal with all your emotional crap and burdens? Is it even important enough that someone knows it broke your heart he/she didn't even bat an eye that you were crying, or is such an emotion so immature that it's one you should just keep to yourself and get over eventually? When someone loves you, doesn't it mean they want to know every single part of you? Every thought and feeling, even the irrational and stupid ones? Or when someone loves you does that mean they give you "tough love" to purposely make you feel abandoned and alone so you realize you really can handle feeling certain emotions on your own? Is it even possible to define what actions someone takes when he/she is in love? Or is being in love so individual that it really depends on the people whether they say everything or not? I guess this is turning into more of a series of questions rather than just keeping it one simple question, but I just want to know. I mean, I understand that in all relationships somethings are left unsaid...but what exactly should be said or not? If I know my feelings are irrational and potentially hurtful to the other person, do they even matter enough for me to voice them or should I just deal and move on? Or are the irrational feelings the most important because they are the oppressed feelings of the unconscious seeping through that obviously need attention? I don't know. I'm just tried of trying to follow this imaginary protocol when it comes to addressing and voicing my emotions to those around me that I love and that love me. If I suddenly feel a pang of longing at a cheesy romantic song, I want to be able to tell someone he/she is missed without fear of appearing too needy. I want to be able to tell someone I love him/ her without fearing that person is judging me as too attached and desperate. If I feel alone and sad and tired and unloved I want to be able to say that without being painted as some colossal, irrational and emotional girl who obviously doesn't know what she's talking about because she is obviously slipping up and letting her heart solely lead her reason and has most definitely lost her mind. I don't want things to be left unsaid that are slowly creating a rift between two hearts that used to know of a surety nothing needed to be left unsaid because there's no need to not tell a heart something that understands yours. And yes, sometimes it is better that things are left unsaid by words; like a thank you that is said with a gentle squeeze of the hand, or an I love you said by a lingering kiss the night you say goodbye. Not everything has to be said flat out. Obviously not. Humans are adept at ambiguity. But the moment you feel as though your emotions and thoughts lack validity and importance and that becomes the reason why you keep them to yourself, that is when it is clear too many things are being left unsaid. Silent thoughts can lead to such secret and deep hurts that you may end up resenting the one you love before he/she even has a clue there was anything amiss. But even though I realize these truths, I know that the moment I post this too long of a blog rant, that I will continue to leave important things unsaid because of my fear and my lack of want of confrontation and doubting my own thoughts and emotions as even valid or important, ever. I know it's not right, but since when have human beings always done what they know to be right? One day I hope I learn not to leave things unsaid. And when they day comes, I hope it turns out that my thoughts and feelings are actually valuable, and that those people really weren't right wanting me to leave them unsaid, because that would really suck. There's not a more eloquent way to define that.

No comments:

Post a Comment