Saturday, May 7, 2011

Poem

I found this poem the other day. It's not a Shakespearian Sonnet or anything by Tennyson, but I love it's simplicity in explaining how truly distance can suck when you're not in the same place as the person you love and miss more than you'll ever let yourself admit.

Why I Hate Reading Maps By Gabriel Gadfly


I have unrolled a map
onto my kitchen table
and put one finger
where you are and
another where I am.

The space between
is only inches. That close,
I could feel you breathing.
I could reach out and
run my fingers through
every strand of your hair,
touch your lips and
barely need to move.

In the corner of the map
there is a guide for judging scale:
every inch a hundred miles
full of roads and rivers and trees,
the guide a sharp reminder
that you are where you are
and I am where I am,
inches apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment