Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Soundtrack

I live in the upper corner of a very crowded college dorm and I am privy to the many sounds associated with ...people, just people in general. From garbage trucks to weekwackers to giggling friends to longing lovers' long goodbyes to young lovers' foolish fights. Sometimes the noise can be unbearable and annoying, but luckily not a whole lot of things can ever bug me enough to reach the point of unhappiness. My favorite noise I hear every night is probably one thought of as annoying to most residents. The Polynesian who lives two doors down from me starts playing music from her laptop when she gets home from work around eleven pm  and it goes straight on until the morning. They're all American songs, but I think I like them so much because it's the kind of music I remember listening to on my mother's and father's radio. Nothing modern or loud or abrasive and attention grabbing which most contemporary music aspires to be. It's just a simple songs that are becoming her soundtrack for her college life yet gently lull me into state of security and sleep as if the soundtrack of my childhood is a lullaby I had forgotten I needed. So I guess this whole post is meant to acknowledge I don't mind the music. In fact, I welcome it. It makes me think about people, about my life, about their lives. It's nice. A good way to fall asleep. It'll be a good soundtrack to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment